It is very common to think that orange juice is an excellent source of vitamin C, which in many cases is even healthier than the orange itself. However, experts from Harvard University do not fully agree with this theory and point out that eating this fruit directly could have more healthy effects on our health.
In this sense, the benefits of orange juice are multiple, acting in many ways to keep our body in an optimal state. Despite this, consuming the whole orange seems to be much better than taking only the juice, since it provides vitamin C, half the sugar of a glass of orange juice and twice the amount of fiber, according to Harvard University in a recent study.
According to studies, a 130-gram medium orange offers 69.7 mg of vitamin C, about the total of what an adult needs in a day, according to the NIH Office of Supplements. In addition, the consumption of the whole orange has benefits thanks to its nutrients and antioxidants, it also gives us satiety and helps us raise blood glucose levels at a lower speed than juice.
These are the disadvantages of drinking narnaja juice, according to Harvard
There are many reasons why the orange alone is much healthier than orange juice. For this reason, Harvard University has detailed some of the disadvantages of drinking orange juice
- Too many calories: Orange juice contains vitamins, cereals and phytochemicals, but if consumption should be limited, since they contain the same amount of sugar and calories as soft drinks.
- Increase Blood Glucose Rapidly: Orange juice has a higher glycemic index than an orange. The orange takes longer to be digested, which causes the release of glucose into the blood to be slower.
- Promotes obesity: It does not matter if it is homemade or supermarket juice, these have more calories and do not have the benefits of fiber and the satiety that the whole orange gives us.
Orange juice generally has fewer benefits than the orange itself. In addition, when the juice is processed, part of the vitamin C, folic acid, is lost. flavonoids and other beneficial plant compounds from the fruit.
For its part, pasteurized orange juice has less antioxidant activity immediately after thermal processing. For this reason, some brands decide to reincorporate the pulp after pasteurization and add vitamin C.
Among its negative effects, it should be remembered that orange juice favors weight gain in the long run due to the regular consumption of sugary drinks, something that also carries with it the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and other chronic diseases.
What are the benefits of orange juice?
However, not all are disadvantages in orange juice, since the orange is a wonderful fruit with a high nutritional value. Although it is healthier to take it alone, one of the most delicious ways to try it is through its refreshing juice. What are the benefits that it brings us? Here are some of them:
- It is one of the most important allies that men have against urinary infections
- It helps us regulate and minimize cholesterol levels. This is due to the citrus substance that it has that acts as a kind of cleanser of the fat in our body
- Helps us lose weight
- Helps us go to the bathroom more regularly
- It helps a lot in our entire digestion process
- Strengthens the immune system
- Helps us against aging