In the gastronomy we found a series of food which can be classified as superfoods due to its properties and the benefits they generate in the Health. This is the case of ‘maca’, a tuber with more than 2,500 years of life.
In its origins it was a tuber widely consumed by the Peruvian aboriginal peoples. It was also used as a food to help the fertility of people. This is the most characteristic property of maca.
Its appearance is similar to that of radish, although its cultivation, processing and properties are significantly different. Thus, there are three types of maca with specific properties, which differ especially in their color: red, black and yellow maca.
Properties and benefits of maca
Although each type of maca has specific characteristics, they all share common properties that make it a superfood for humans. Its antioxidant power, its action on fertility in men and women and its ability to reduce menstrual pain stand out.
Thus, these are some of the properties and benefits of consuming this food from Peru:
- It is rich in essential minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, sulfur, sodium, copper, iodine, iron, and silicon.
- It also provides good doses of vitamin C, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and vitamin E:
- It is antioxidant, revitalizing and energetic.
- Contains antistress and antidepressant properties.
Due to its properties, maca is already considered a superfood in many regions. But it is that its health benefits are innumerable. These are only some of them:
- Increases libido and improves male fertility.
- Stimulates the production of red blood cells in the body.
- Reduces premenstrual symptoms and period pain.
- It is beneficial in cases of anemia.
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- It balances cholesterol and is beneficial for patients with diabetes.
- Reduces the symptoms of fatigue.
- Helps increase learning capacity and memory.
Contraindications of this superfood
Virtually all foods in the world, despite being highly beneficial for health, have a series of contraindications for consumption. Likewise, excessive consumption can generate some side effects.
In the case of maca, it is a superfood that generally does not have adverse effects, unless there is a high intake. It is a stimulating and energizing food, so one of its adverse effects could be insomnia.
To prevent maca from causing insomnia, it is advisable not to take this food at night. It is preferable to take it during lunch or in the afternoon.
However, before taking any exotic food that the body is not accustomed to, it is advisable to consult with a nutritionist doctor, to learn more about the effects of its consumption.